Here’s an item for your winter to-do-list: Make it a priority to take care of your skin to maintain it’s flexibility and firmness. Elastin and Collagen, two important proteins, play a vital role in your skin’s appearance. You have likely heard of them, but how much do you know about them and how they are different?
- The Protein, Elastin, helps keep your skin counter the effects of gravity by helping it maintain its flexibility and elasticity. There is less elastin in your body than collagen, but they work together to keep your skin looking young.
- The Protein, Collagen, is abundant in your skin, nails, hair, muscles, tendons, and other parts of your body. It is a necessary component of your body’s connective tissue. Collagen helps your skin stay smooth and firm. It also aids in the formation of new skin cells and keeps harmful toxins at bay.
The aging process slowly robs your body of these critical proteins, and as a result, your skin becomes saggy, thin and loose. It is also more easily damaged and more susceptible to the pull of gravity. Wrinkles appear, and along with them, jowls or a double chin.
As impossible as it is to to prevent the march of time, there are some things you can do to protect the elastin and collagen in your body and keep your skin looking young for as long as possible:
- Avoid UVB and UV sun damage by always wearing sunscreen
- Stop smoking – it’s responsible for many of the lines and wrinkles that form around the mouth
- Eat a Balanced Diet; limit sugar and soft drinks
- Replenish collagen with a dermal filler – We offer a number of cosmetic treatments that can counter the effects of aging. Popular dermal fillers, such as BELOTERO BALANCE®, use hyaluronic acid to restore lost volume to your face and smooth your skin. Others, such as Radiesse®, stimulate your body’s production of collagen, for natural, and long-lasting results.