Acne is a common and often frustrating skin condition that can affect people of all ages. While there is no one-size-fits-all solution for acne, there are a number of effective treatments that can help reduce its appearance. At Smooth Solutions Medical Aesthetics, Dr. Jack Bertolino and his team in Williamsville, NY can assist with several solutions for patients to try:
- Benzoyl peroxide is one of the most commonly used topical treatments for acne. It works by killing the bacteria that contribute to acne and by helping to reduce inflammation. Benzoyl peroxide is available in a variety of formulations, including gels, creams, and lotions. It is usually applied to the affected area one or two times per day.
- Retinoids are another type of topical medication that can be effective in treating acne. They work by helping to unclog pores and by reducing inflammation. Retinoids are available in both over-the-counter and prescription formulations. Commonly used retinoids include tretinoin, adapalene, and tazarotene.
- Antibiotics are sometimes used to treat acne. They work by killing the bacteria that contribute to acne. Antibiotics are available in both over-the-counter and prescription formulations. The most commonly used antibiotics for acne are erythromycin and clindamycin.
- Acne can also be treated with light therapy or laser therapy. These treatments work by targeting the sebaceous glands, which produce oil that can contribute to acne. Light therapy is typically performed with a special device that emits blue light. Laser therapy uses lasers to target the sebaceous glands. Both light therapy and laser therapy are typically performed in a doctor’s office and require several sessions for best results.
- Chemical peels can also be effective in addressing different types of acne. Peels contain chemicals that help to remove the outer layer of the skin. This helps unclog pores and reduce the appearance of acne. Chemical peels are typically performed in a doctor’s office and require several sessions for the best results.
Who do I call to learn more about effective acne treatments?
If you have acne and have been unsuccessful in treating it with over-the-counter products available at the drugstore, it might be time to reach out to a dermatologist for assistance. Call Smooth Solutions Medical Aesthetics at (716) 633-6100 to request an appointment at 5839 Main Street, Suite #102.