Spider veins – the name says it all!
Those small groups of tiny blood vessels just under the surface of the skin that bear an uncanny resemblance to the creepy, crawly creatures whose name they share.
They can be congenital, a result of standing for long periods of time, appear following pregnancy or appear as part of the aging process. But regardless of their cause, they are unsightly and embarrassing. The good news is that treating them is an easy procedure, done in our office, using advanced laser technology.
What Are Spider Veins?
- Spider veins are similar to varicose veins but are much smaller. They are the mildest manifestation of venous insufficiency. Although they may cove large areas, they are a cosmetic problem, do not require medical treatment and rarely cause physical symptoms.
- Some physicians observing spider veins may conduct an ultrasound exam to determine the extent of the problem and the underlying causes of the condition.
- Spider Veins are clearly visible, can be red, blue or purple and usually appear on the thighs, lower legs, face and nose. However, unlike varicose veins, they do not bulge above the skin surface.
- They usually appear in one of three characteristic patterns – a “sunburst” or spider-web pattern, a “tree-branch” pattern, or a linear “matting” pattern that appears as a set of thin lines.
- Studies show that a third of all women experience spider veins; the percentage of men appears to be much smaller.
Spider Vein Treatment
- During laser spider vein removal, a light is passed through the skin sending pulses of energy to the targeted vein without harming the surrounding tissue.
- The blood absorbs the light, heats up and causes the targeted vein to shrink, eventually resulting in its disappearance.
- Laser spider vein removal requires no injections and no incisions. Patients experience a slight feeling of heat and minimal discomfort.
- Each treatment lasts about 20 minutes, but can vary depending on the patient, the veins and the size of the affected area. Additional sessions may be necessary for optimal results.
Results are amazing! Call for a consultation!